21 February 2010

Getting the creative juices flowing

So here's where I stand on Into the Flames, the novel I WILL settle down and finish this year.

Word Count: 18,526

I think I'm about half way through the plot right now, maybe two thirds, but I'm pretty sure I can add some scenes and embellish throughout to make it a "real" novel length.
I don't have any chapters right now, but I do have breaks where I can make them into chapters later if I so choose. I think I have about six chapters right now. Tonight I'm trying to finish a scene I'm adding to Before the Revelation (can you tell I'm procrastinating though?). I think this part, before the big secret reveal, is really important, because I want to completely define these characters apart from their powers. Yeah, their powers are essential to who they are, but they can't be shallow, two dimensional characters with their personalities hinged on what their super power is. This is also very important to the relationship between Rahab and Jean and Hawkins. I want her to want to be their friend even without having this bond between them. My favorite line from my novel, and a theme that I want to bring out even more, but am not sure how, is this:
"Rahab decided that it wasn’t so much their powers that brought them all together, as the fact that they had each bared their darkest secrets to each other, and had found understanding. And that was all that they really wanted."

Somebody in my creative writing class brought up the fact that now that Rahab was in on their little clique, Jean might get jealous that somebody else is talking to Hawkins telepathically. It wasn't something that I ever would have thought of, but of course she's right that it's probably the most likely thing to happen in that situation. I know I would get jealous if somebody encroached upon my and my friend's inside means of communication. This can also expand and deepen the section between the revelation and Christmas break (which is the scene before things start to get really hairy).

I could make this discussion with myself last a lot longer, but I should probably get to writing. That's the important part, getting it on paper first and foremost. Listening to 3 Doors Down to keep me in the mood.

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman? If I'm alive and well will you be there holding my hand? I'll keep you by my side with my superhuman might, Kryponite."

(In case you didn't know, the title of this novel comes from the 3dd song "Going Down in Flames.")

No comments:

Post a Comment