10 September 2009

The Passing of Time


Thought of the Day:
Well, since I already about my thoughts about twinhood, I thought today I would comment on the passing of time. It's weird how everybody gets hyped up about a special day. We'll take birthdays for starters since today is mine. People take a certain day and just go, "Ten years ago today such and such happened," but that always bugs me because due to the fact that a year is 365.25 days, is it really exactly ten years ago that particular day? People seem to forget this fact even though it is clearly evident in the fact that it's always going to be on a different day of the week. I don't really know for sure exactly where the earth was around the sun last year, but when can we be certain that it has been a year? And what does that mean, really, other than that the earth has revolved around the sun? What is a day except that the sun has rotated around on its axis? Why are these measurments of time important to us?
And let's talk about holidays. Christmas, Veterans' Day, Presidents' Day, just about every one except Easter, is just an arbitrary day that we have chosen to celebrate something momentous in history. So why does everybody get so set on that certain day (certain family members, I might just be talking about you)? It's just something somebody else has chosen. Days aren't important, it's the actions we take on that day that make them special. I don't wake up in the middle of November and suddenly feel warm and fuzzy inside because Hannukah has started. I'm not going to wake up on February 14th and feel older just because it is the Korean New Year.
To God, each day is like a thousand years, and vice versa. Let's strive to make every day important, and then get together with our families every chance we get and make those occasions special and memorable. I don't care when it is. Let's take our September Saturday, for example. It's rarely in September anymore. Sometimes it's not even on a Saturday. But we still all remember it, and talk about it, and eat a lot, and play games, and wish we never had to leave.
And after saying all this, I'm glad it's my birthday and that people noticed it. I'm sorry I forgot to call my sister at 8:23 am (even though with daylight savings it probably should have been either 7:23 or 9:23) and wish her a good day. I mean, she called me at 9:11, but it just isn't the same. and now I will commemorate this day by washing the dishes and doing laundry. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. (You were born at 832, Miss Dyslexia and I at 833.)
    Aside from that, this is a great note. I love what you have to say about September Saturdays. (Is the term "September Saturday" going to be in the MUM book?)
    So let's have an arbitrary celebration (like receiving Adventures in Odyssey!) and get together!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, Mom said she was going to comment the correct time also but she couldn't figure out how to post. yes, let's get together (ya ya ya, why can't we combine?)!

    ReplyDelete